A friend of mine recently posted that she is finally getting back to running. (She has not been running for a while due to a back injury.) Why do I start my blog off with this? Because we need to begin our wellness journey in the place we are currently. I also mention this to remind you that wellness is a journey. It also takes effort and determination. Wellness is a journey that continues and never ends.
Here are 7 simple places you can begin your path to wellness.
- Eat Clean: Clean eating focuses on consuming whole foods.
- Cut out added sugars.
- Shop the perimeter. Most stores stock veggies, fruits and healthy proteins on the perimeter.
- Stop eating diet foods, they often have added sugars and low nutritional value.
- Go for the Rainbow. Fill your plate with dark leafy greens, red bell peppers, yellow squash, and orange carrots. A drizzle of EVOO and balsamic and you have a simple yet tasty salad.
2. Declutter your mind:
- Practice meditation techniques
- Take up Yoga
- Start your day with a relaxing music mix instead of the morning news
3. Get Moving:
4. Ditch your Cleaning Chemicals: This time your mom may not have known best. I was raised on “clean with bleach and ammonia”. NO! According to the American Lung Association, “Many cleaning supplies or household products can irritate the eyes or throat, or cause headaches and other health problems, including cancer. Some products release dangerous chemicals, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Some “natural” cleaners have a fake fragrance that can provoke allergies & eczema.
- Clean with natural plant-based products such as Thieves Household Cleaner.
- Ditch and replace traditional cleaners with plant-based each time you run out.
5. Buy an essential oils kit with a diffuser:
- Essential oils can be a gateway to physical and emotional health.
- Purchasing a kit vs individual oils is the least expensive way to get started.
- Here’s a simple daily plan to get started.
6. Rest on Sunday:
- Yes, please attend church. Worship the Lord and visit with your church family.
- Turn off your cell phone.
- Be silent on social media.
- Take a nap.
- Take a walk on the beach.
7. Join a Bible study: God does not want us to live in a cocoon. Remember, He made Eve to be with Adam.
- Put aside your fear and join a small group at church.
- Most churches offer a group study on a week-night. GO!
- Read the book Women of the Word by Jen Wilkin, then gather a few people together to start your own.
NOW…On Your Mark, Get Set, GO! Make it happen. Take that first step to begin your wellness journey.
Let me know where you are starting your wellness journey or how your journey is progressing.